Gene editing for the primary industries
2018: Discussion paper and companion technical paper exploring the potential uses of gene editing for the primary industries in Aotearoa.
Download discussion paper The use of gene editing in the primary industries
Download technical paper Gene editing in the primary industries
These papers explore five scenarios of where gene editing could be used in New Zealand's primary industries to:
- Reduce environmental impact (reduce wilding pines)
- Respond to insect pests and environmental stress (improve forage grass)
- Speed up innovation (develop new apple varieties faster)
- Protect taonga species used in the primary industries (protect Mānuka from disease)
- Provide new human health benefits (remove potential allergens from milk)
Each scenario highlights agricultural, ethical/social and legal considerations as well as risks and potential benefits. View scenarios.