In 2018, the Society set up Te Kauhuahua as an advisory group considering equity and diversity.
Te Kauhuahua means the horizontal cross beams on the bottom of a waka – they support what’s going on up top.
Terms of reference
- Te Kauhuahua will be advisory to the President during her/his term of office and be comprised of Council and sector representatives.
- Secretariat support will be provided by the staff-lead on diversity, noting that the steering group may request other staff participation as needs arise.
- Te Kauhuahua will produce a work plan aimed at reducing barriers to genuinely equitable processes and improve the participation of under-represented groups, with a primary focus on gender, but also consider intersectionality.
- Te Kauhuahua will monitor progress on commitments made in the Society’s Diversity Policy.
- Te Kauhuahua will report bi-annually on progress made.