Learn how to be nominated for Powering Potential and expectations following the programme
To attend Powering Potential, Year 12 or Year 13 students must be nominated by their school. Up to two nominations can be made by each school.
For each student nominated, schools must supply:
Each entry must contain the following:
- Nominator Form (to be completed by school)
- Powering Potential Entry Form (this must be completed by the student)
- A video (maximum 3 minutes) with the title “Why me?” (This is the nominee's opportunity to talk about their passion for science and technology, and their future study plans and plans for their future; their problem solving and communication abilities and what makes them a good candidate for Powering Potential).
- Copy of scholastic record to demonstrate science/technology subjects being studied and academic achievement (verified by your science/technology teacher and Principal)
- Copy of birth certificate or passport to demonstrate New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency (verified by your science/technology teacher)
- Scholastic record 20%
- Video 40%
- Testimonial 20%
- Contribution to school or community 20%
The judging panel are made up of passionate science and technology teachers and those in the education and science research sector.
When will you be advised if you have been successful
Student's will be advised of the judging panel's decision within two days after the panel meeting takes place in November. This year the selection panel will take place on 4 November.
Closing date for entries
Entries must be received by Monday 9 October.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Send your entries to:
If you are sending your entries electronically then please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are sending them by mail (please make sure you send at least 5 days before closing date) to Debbie Woodhall, Royal Society Te Apārangi, PO Box 598, Wellington 6140
If you are sending by courier please send to Debbie Woodhall, Royal Society Te Apārangi, 11 Turnbull Street, Thorndon, Wellington 6011
Powering Potential will take place in Wellington
The event will occur from Monday 11 December to late afternoon on Thursday 14 December.
After Powering Potential
It is always good to give something back. Participants who are selected for this all-expenses-paid event will be expected to spread the word about their experience at Powering Potential. You can decide how you do it but a couple of examples are:
- Making a short video that we can use for promotional purposes and put on the Powering Potential website.
- Talking to students at your school about your experience.
- Talking at your local Freemasons Lodge about your experience.
- Doing something within your community that relates to the Powering Potential theme.