CREST and Gene editing in Aotearoa
Gene Editing and CREST investigations
Royal Society Te Apārangi is encouraging New Zealanders to consider and share their views on some potential uses of gene editing in New Zealand.
- Should gene editing form part of our healthcare options? or
- Should gene editing be part of New Zealand’s tool box for pest control?
- Should gene editing be used in primary industries in New Zealand?
- 1. Develop a mobile app which would help raise awareness of the scientific possibilities and associated public issues of new gene editing technologies in healthcare.
- For Bronze CREST (Individual or Team) the mobile app should be developed to BETA level
- For Silver CREST (individual or Team) the mobile app should be developed to a working model implementing the styles and functionality of your app.
2. Investigate a pest issue and in and around your school or local area and devise a method to control those pests, in comparison with a gene editing approach.
- For Bronze CREST (Individual or Team) the investigation needs to demonstrate at least two variables.
- For Silver CREST (individual or Team) the investigation needs to include at least 3 variables.
3.Should gene editing be used in primary industries in New Zealand?
Investigating a crop growing in your local area, and investigate how it could be improved (e.g. environmental resilience, pest prevention, nutrition, yield, form) using conventional breeding, in comparison with a gene editing approach.
Green house gas emissions are a big problem for NZ’s primary industries. How could gene editing be used to reduce NZ’s greenhouse gas emissions?
How could gene editing be used in NZ’s primary industries to improve fresh water quality?
Possible Teaching, Learning and Assessment Links /Opportunities
- https://royalsociety.org.nz/ gene-editing-for-pest-control/ (Scenario paper and summary)
- https://royalsociety.org.nz/gene-editing-in-healthcare/ (Scenario paper and summary)
- https://royalsociety.org.nz/perfectly-healthy-disease-free-by-technology/ (Radio New Zealand broadcast of a Society discussion panel on using gene editing in medicine)
- https://royalsociety.org.nz/making-babies-you-me-and-gene-editing/ (Radio New Zealand broadcast of a Society discussion panel on using gene editing for human reproduction and fertility)
- https://royalsociety.org.nz/gene-editing-resources/ (background to the technology, and fact sheet)
https://royalsociety.org.nz/editing-them-out-the-end-for-pests/ (Radio New Zealand broadcast of a Society discussion panel on the risks and benefits if gene editing technologies are used for pest control)
https://royalsociety.org.nz/what-we-do/our-expert-advice/all-expert-advice-papers/gene-editing-for-the-primary-industries (Royal Society Te Apārangi web-page, scenarios paper and summary)