View recipients of the Charles Fleming Senior Scientist Award
- Dr Marta Camps Arbestain, Institute of Agriculture and Environment, Massey University, Palmerston North, was allocated $9,981 towards research expenses for her study of soil organic matter which will allow the selection of adequate pasture mixtures in volcanic soils based on the knowledge of their soil organic matter chemistry.
- Associate Professor Simon Davy, Victoria University of Wellington, was allocated $10,000 to assist with research expenses, while carrying out research in a laboratory at the Universite Nice Sophia Antipolis in France, into the molecular and cellular basis of the coral-algal symbiosis.
- Dr Sebastian Leuzinger, Institute of Applied Ecology, Auckland University of Technology, was allocated $6,000 to assist with costs associated with an 8-week experiment over summer 2014/15 on the Mangawhai Harbour Estuary, investigating water transport in the temperate New Zealand mangrove species Avicennia marina.
- Professor Ewan Fordyce, Department of Geology, University of Otago, was allocated $9,843 to assist with the costs for the preliminary preparation of plaster-jacketed fossil Cetacean already recovered from the Otekaike Limestone, Hakataramea Valley.
- Associate Professor Phil Lester, School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, was allocated $10,000 to assist with costs for research into the European origin of populations of the invasive common wasp (Vespula vulgaris) in New Zealand.
- Dr Lloyd Donaldson, Scion, was allocated $7,700 to assist with costs associated with travel and use of instrumentation at the University of Adelaide, Australia.
- No award was made.
- Associate Professor Kathleen Campbell, School of Geography, Geology & Environmental Science, The University of Auckland was allocated $7,000 to assist with the costs of her fieldtrip to the Yellowstone National Park, USA.
- Dr Mark Hampton, Department of Pathology, University of Otago has been allocated $3,000 to support travel costs for his visit to the MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit, Cambridge, UK.
- Associate Professor Andrew Jeffs at the University of Auckland was allocated $10,000 to assist him in undertaking research examining the importance of distinctive sound signals being generated from various underwater habitats.
- No award was made.
- Senior Scientist Research: Dr Daphne Lee, University of Otago, to continue her research on the Lauraceae fossils and fossil insects ($7,122).
- Senior Scientist Research: Dr Jack Grant-Mackie, to assist his work at the University of Kiel, Germany, in May-June 2006 ($3,450), and to Professor Neil McNaughton, to assist with the maintenance, update and expansion of the reference system for his forthcoming book ($6,550).