Terms of reference
Requirements and terms of reference for the Society's National Committee on Antarctic Science.
- The creation, terms of reference, and duration of the Committee shall be approved by the Royal Society of New Zealand Council.
- The Chair of the Committee shall be appointed by the Royal Society of New Zealand Council. The Chair’s term of office shall normally be for two years (renewable) or for the duration of the Committee, if less.
- The membership of the Committee shall be appointed by the CEO in consultation with the Chair and other interested parties. The term of office shall normally be for three years and will be eligible for renewal or replacement on recommendation of the Chair. It is intended that new replacement members will be brought in to the committee on a regular basis.
- The Committee shall adhere to the Royal Society of New Zealand‘s Code of Ethics.
- The Committee will provide a plan outlining its proposed activity to the Royal Society of New Zealand Council for approval subject to budget. The plan will be updated annually.
- The Committee will propose an annual budget to the CEO prior to the Royal Society of New Zealand’s annual budget finalisation.
- The Committee will provide an annual report to the Royal Society of New Zealand Council.
- The Royal Society of New Zealand officer assigned to the Committee is responsible for all minutes and administrative matters of the Committee.
- The Committee shall advise the Royal Society of New Zealand Council through the CEO on all matters of concern and respond to any request.
Terms of Reference
- The Committee shall represent and promote the interests of the New Zealand Antarctic science community to agencies involved in New Zealand activities in the Antarctic region.
- The Committee shall be the channel of communication with the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) of the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU) and shall co-ordinate New Zealand activities in relation to it. The Committee shall promote communication between SCAR and New Zealand scientists and agencies interested in the Antarctic.
- The Committee may communicate direct with SCAR, or other organisations except on matters involving a major commitment for New Zealand or the Society, and shall inform the Royal Society of New Zealand Council about such communications in its annual report.
- The chief matters, on which international communication should be made through the Royal Society of New Zealand Council, are:
- appointment of delegates to meetings of, or convened by, international organisations.
- matters of policy and/or any financial commitment.
- meetings of SCAR and on New Zealand representation and contribution there at.
- offices of SCAR held by New Zealanders.
- Any New Zealand member of the SCAR executive body shall be ex-officio an additional member of the Committee.
- The Committee shall be responsible for appointing representatives to the working groups of SCAR.
- The Committee is the defacto “National Committee for Antarctic Research” for SCAR purposes.