- Nominations shall be considered by the Academy Executive Committee, chaired by the Chair of that Committee, who will make a recommendation to Council.
- The Academy Executive Committee shall meet by teleconference unless all three members live in the same location, to consider nominations.
- The Academy Executive Committee will be serviced by administrative staff of RSNZ who will keep minutes and record any conflicts of interest.
- The Academy Executive Committee shall be empowered to make independent inquiries regarding nominees if necessary.
- In the event of failure to reach agreement, the decision will be made by Council.
Companions of the Royal Society of New Zealand are elected occasionally for outstanding leadership or eminent contributions to the promotion and advancement of science, technology or the humanities in New Zealand.