Review the following resources to learn more about the advances occurring in gene editing, explaining historic and current methods for modifying genetic material and how the new gene editing technologies are already being used around the world.
The Royal Society of New Zealand would like to thank the following people for their contribution on creating these resources:
Expert reference group: Professor Barry Scott FRSNZ, Professor Peter Dearden, Associate Professor Peter Fineran, Professor Neil Gemmell, Professor Emily Parker, and Professor Andrew Allan.
International reviewers: Associate Professor Rodolphe Barrangou, Dr Sue Meek, Dr Thomas Joseph Higgins, and Dr Gaetan Burgio
Expert contributors: Dr Jane Alison, Dr Donna Bond, Dr Rowland Burdon FRSNZ, Dr John Caradus FRSNZ, Dr Revel Drummond, Professor Stephen Goldson FRSNZ, Dr Goetz Laible, Associate Professor Richard Macknight, Dr Elspeth MacRae, Mr John McEwan FRSNZ, Dr Shahista Nisa, Dr Grant Smith, Professor Hamish Spencer FRSNZ, Dr Robert Weinkove.
- Genome editing: an ethical review (2016) Nuffield Council on Bioethics: http://nuffieldbioethics.org/project/genome-editing/
- GM plants: Questions and answers (2016) Royal Society of London: https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/gm-plants/
- Gene Drives on the Horizon (2016) National Academies of Science: https://www.nap.edu/catalog/23405/gene-drives-on-the-horizon-advancing-science-navigating-uncertainty-and
- Genetically Engineered Crops (2016) National Academies of Science: https://nas-sites.org/ge-crops/
- Gene editing with CRISPR (2015) Australian Academy of Science: http://www.nova.org.au/technology-future/crispr
- International Summit on human genome editing (2015) National Academies of Science: http://nationalacademies.org/gene-editing/Gene-Edit-Summit/
- Report of the Royal Commission on Genetic Modification (2001) Ministry for the Environment: http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/hazards/report-royal-commission-genetic-modification
- Advisory Committee on Assisted Reproductive Technology: http://acart.health.govt.nz/home
- Gene Technology Advisory Committee (Health Research Council of New Zealand): http://www.hrc.govt.nz/about-us/committees/gene-technology-advisory-committee-gtac
- Medsafe: http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/regulatory/Guideline/GRTPNZ/Part2.pdf
- Environmental Protection Authority: http://www.epa.govt.nz/new-organisms/Pages/default.aspx
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand: http://www.foodstandards.govt.nz/consumer/gmfood/Pages/default.aspx
- Ministry for Primary Industries: http://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/plants/seeds-for-sowing/genetically-modified-seeds/; http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/industry/general/labelling-composition/applying-requirements/various.htm ; http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/1625; http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/1636